If these seaweed-wrapped, homemade sushi rolls look difficult, think again! Light, filling, and nutritious…these rolls are delicious any time of the day— and they make a great packed lunch.
We developed these rolls as an alternative to wheat burritos; little did we know seaweed is as delicious as it is nutritious!
Nori is a rich source of iodine, an important micronutrient which governs multiple systems in the body. Nori is also a sufficient source of iron, a mineral required by red blood cells to transport oxygen to the entire body.
- Sliced avocado
- Sliced cucumber
- Veganaise or mayonnaise
- Pickled ginger
- Portobello mushrooms sautéed in avocado oil
- Spinach leaves
- Sesame seeds
- Nori sheets
- Soy sauce or tamari sauce (gluten-free!)
- Dampen each nori sheet lightly with a paper towel or damp hands.
- Layer ingredients on one half of the nori sheet and sprinkle seasoning over the top to taste.
- Roll as tightly as possible.
Other Ingredient Ideas
- Hemp seeds
- Sandwich meat
- Chicken or turkey breast
- Baked or fried tofu
- Shredded carrots
- Cream cheese (vegan or regular)
- Sour cream (vegan or regular)
- Teriyaki sauce
- Lemon juice, ginger spice and garlic salt
- Steamed beets
Word of caution to those with Hashimoto’s thyroid disease: consult your physician before increasing your intake of iodine. An excess of iodine could be harmful to those with a thyroid disease!